If you are experiencing a headache above your right eye, then there is a very good chance for a health problem to be causing it. There are many reasons why this kin of headache will appear, including problems with the nerves in the area or other neurological conditions. Infection can lead to headache just above the right eye, being accompanied by significant pain and inflammation. Also, increased intracranial pressure and disorders of the blood vessels can lead to such problems.
Keep in mind that the headache can be the first symptom of a more serious condition and it is highly important to visit the doctor. After a physical examination and a series of medical investigations, the doctor will be able to formulate a diagnosis and recommend a medical treatment. The treatment will reduce the headache and all of its associated symptoms. Sometimes, the doctor will recommend a pain management plan for such problems.
Causes of Headache above Right Eye
These are the most common causes that can lead to a headache above the right eye:
- Inflammation of the sinuses, accompanied or not by infection
- Depending on the exact sinuses that were affected, it can cause headache above the right eye
- The infection can either be cause by bacteria or viruses
- Headache is accompanied by significant pain
- A sensation of pressure can also be felt in the area
- Increase intraocular pressure
- Can lead to headache above the right eye and cause significant pain
- The pressure can be intermittent, causing the headache to come and go
- Inflammation of the temporal artery (located near the eye)
- Can lead to headache above the right eye, among other modifications
- Bulge that appears inside the artery wall
- Can cause headache above the right eye, being accompanied by significant pain
- A burst aneurysm requires immediate medical attention
Increased intra-cranial pressure
- Intra-cranial abscess
- Brain tumor
Can lead to headache above the right eye, accompanied by pain, vision problems and systemic symptoms (including vascular collapse)
- Nerve problems
- Neurological conditions
- Trauma/injury to the head – the headache above the right eye can appear immediately after the trauma/injury or a long-term post-traumatic consequence
- Allergic reaction – if the swelling is really intense, then it can also cause headache above the right eye
- Eye conditions (conjunctivitis, blepharitis, and cellulitis)
Treatment for Headache above right eye
These are the most common courses of treatment recommended for anti-inflammatory medication:
- Anti-inflammatory medication – can guarantee pain relief, dealing with the inflammation as well.
- For migraine-like headaches above the right eye:
- Beta blockers
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication
- Other solutions:
- Intravenous pain medication – recommended only for severe headaches
- If the headaches are accompanied by systemic symptoms (nausea, vomiting), an antiemetic is recommended
- Prednisone – indicated in chronic headaches, to reduce the severity of a new headache
- Complementary and alternative strategies
- Relaxation therapy
- Electromyographic feedback
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Oxygen therapy – recommended for cluster headache
- Treatment for the underlying conditions:
- Antibiotics – in case of infection of the sinuses caused by bacteria
- Antiviral medication – in case of infection of the sinuses caused by different viruses
- Specific medication to reduce intraocular pressure in case of glaucoma
- Surgery to remove the brain aneurysm
- Specific medication/surgery to reduce the intra-cranial pressure
- Medication to solve the eye problems
- Surgery, radio or chemotherapy for brain tumors
These are the most common measures you can take in order to obtain relief from the headache above the right eye:
- Get plenty of rest – sometimes, the way to obtain relief from a headache is by sleeping or resting. Rest can be more successful in bringing pain relief that a lot of medication, so it is recommended to give it a try. The next time you feel like your head hurts just above the right eye, lie down and soon you will see that you feel better.
- Cold compress – often times, the main cause that leads to the appearance of a headache above the right eye is inflammation. When this happens, the best remedy is the application of a cold compress over the head. You can also consider the application of an ice pack, but make sure you wrap it in a towel before you apply it to the head. The cold will reduce the inflammation and it will also bring down the sensation of pressure.
- Massage – applying a few gentle strokes to the specific area where is hurts can help relieve the tension and bring pain relief. You can do the massage yourself and it is guaranteed it will relieve the pressure, making you feel better. You can add essential oils for better results.
- Relaxation – if you want to obtain pain relief from your headache, then try controlled breathing. Breathe in several times, then slowly exhale the air. As oxygen therapy is recommended as a treatment for headaches, you can certainly understand the beneficial effects of controlled breathing in this situation.
- If you feel a headache coming on, then do a little bit of exercise. No one says that you have to run a marathon, but a few movements will contribute to the release of endorphins and it will certainly make you feel better. Choose easy movements and do not make too much effort, otherwise, you will make the headache worse.
In conclusion, the headache above the right eye can be treated with both medication and at-home measures. Make sure you identify the cause of the headache first and then decide on which treatment should be pursued. Also, try to follow the advice of the doctor and take the treatment for as long as it is prescribed. If the headaches are recurrent, then you should definitely consider complementary or alternative therapies. These can do wonders in case of recurrent headaches and not only. Also, make sure that you eat healthy and drink plenty of water, to avoid dehydration.